I was born in Germany and immigrated to Canada, settling in Oshawa in 1964. I have been married for 42 years and have three adult children. My son Colin has joined my practice as of July 2, 2015.
I have over 44 years of professional experience in the areas of family law, real estate and property law, wills and estates, and estate administration. I am bilingual and offer my services in both English and German.
I deal with my clients issues while keeping the following primary principles in mind:
- It is my obligation to educate my client in order to enable him or her to make decisions designed to reduce stress and hostility and negotiate a fair and responsible settlement.
- Although some disputes can only be resolved by litigation in order to secure a fair result for the client, I generally employ a mediation-oriented approach when dealing with my own clients and opposing counsel.
- I firmly believe that one of the primary duties of a lawyer is to resolve disputes, especially in family law, with civility toward all participants in the process.
- Bachelor of Arts, York University, History and Political Science, 1972
- L.L.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 1975
- Call to Bar of Ontario, 1977
- Completion of all required and additional mandatory annual education programs
- Family Law, Real Estate and Estates Practitioner for 40 Years (Sole Practitioner from 1984 to Present)
- Member of Durham Region Law Association (1977 to present)
- Director, Durham Region Law Association (1985 to 2001)
- Chair Person of Multiple Committees
- Participant in Durham Region Law Association Mentor Program
- Past President of Durham Region Law Association (1996 to 1998)
- Appointed as Dispute Resolution Officer (D.R.O.) in 2011, Conducting Case Conferences in the Superior Court of Justice, Family Branch, Oshawa