Top Five Things to Look for When Hiring a Lawyer
If you’re facing a major life decision like divorce, estate planning, child custody arrangements or even buying a home, one of the best ways to ensure your interests are taken care of is to hire a lawyer. A qualified lawyer is the best person to help you understand your rights and navigate you through the legal system.
Many private individuals will require legal assistance at some point throughout their lives through either real estate law, family law, or will and estate planning. Depending on your situation, a lawyer will offer advice and guidance, represent you in court, file necessary paperwork, and negotiate on your behalf.
Having a lawyer does not always guarantee a clear win, but qualified legal representation does raise your chances for a favourable outcome and peace of mind on legal matters. In the Greater Toronto Area, there are thousands of lawyers and law firms available. To help you decide which is best for your needs, we’ve compiled a list of the top five things to look for when hiring a lawyer.
- A legal professional who can offer sound legal advice based on the specific issues of your case. Each situation needs a unique approach depending on circumstances involved. A lawyer should provide sound advice and creative solutions to address your specific needs.
- A legal professional who is familiar with all types of dispute resolution. A lawyer should be familiar with conflict resolution techniques such as mediation, negotiation through counsel, the collaborative process, arbitration or litigation (only if necessary).
- A legal professional who makes themselves available to you to discuss your matter. A good lawyer always makes time to work with their client. Meetings between counsel and a client shouldn't be limited to courtrooms, but anytime a client needs to talk about their case.
- A legal professional who listens to your concerns, wishes, and goals. A lawyer should always stay open-minded and ready to listen to their clients. You should be comfortable openly sharing your thoughts and feel that your lawyer is actively listening to your concerns.
- A legal professional who will take the necessary steps to handle your case as efficiently as possible. Prolonged cases have cost implications on the client's side. Your lawyer should implement a strategy to conclude your case as soon as possible.
If you’re looking for a family lawyer, real estate lawyer, or wills and estate lawyer, contact Neubauer Law Office in Oshawa, ON. The lawyers at Neubauer Law Office have provided the Durham Region with competent and compassionate legal services for over forty years.
To learn more, please visit www.neubauerlawyer.ca.